We provide a local, community service for children and young people aged 0 - 19 years who have, for example, difficulties with:
- talking and communicating
- eating, drinking or swallowing
- mobility and posture
- physical skills such as balance and coordination
- motor (movement) skills
- everyday activities e.g. self-care such as getting dressed, using the toilet, preparing and eating meals.
The service is mainly provided within community settings such as:
- children's centres
- patients' own homes, or
- in our own clinics
- Rainbow Centre in Ashford,
- The Children’s Assessment Unit at Buckland Hospital
- The Beacon Folkestone
- Please note children and young people with a Canterbury, Faversham or Thanet GP need to refer to Kent Community Health NHS Foundation Trust https://ww.kentcht.nhs.uk
If you would like to share your feedback on this service, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Most appointments are video appointments using the eClinic virtual appointment system. Our leaflet contains more information about Children and Young People's teletherapy appointments. More information about video appointments is available here.
All children and young people develop differently. Many will show difficulties at some point in their development. There are some common problems that can be improved with some practical advice - please see relevant therapy section for helpful resources.
Other problems may need specialist help from a Speech and Language Therapist, Occupational Therapist or a Physiotherapist.
If a child or young person requires support from more than one therapy, we will arrange for joint sessions if they are appropriate and fully integrate our work and the supporting reports and meetings, always ensuring that each child's package of care is tailored to their individual needs.
We know that children with difficulties who receive early help show significant developmental progress and families have greater confidence in dealing with their children's needs.
You can find out how to refer from the webpage 'How to refer'.
Child Health Services Parent and Carers Involvement Group
Click here for Adult Therapy Services