What do I do if I have a flare up of my condition?
- Maximise the treatment that you are already taking. Increase your medication to the maximum that you are allowed. i.e Maximum dose for Pentasa 4g, Octasa 4,8g, Mezevant 4.8g, Asacol 4.8g
- Add any rectal therapy such as enemas or suppositories that you may have been prescribed.
- Monitor your bowel frequency over the last couple of days to ascertain any abnormal pattern.
- Monitor your food intake for the last couple of days to determine if any food may have triggered this.
- Have you been in contact with anyone with a stomach bug lately?
- Contact the IBD Helpline Flareline on 01843 225544 Ext 725 3132 if you have undertaken the following and still experiencing issues.
Inflammatory Bowel Disease Flare Line
If you are experiencing a flare or need support and guidance with your inflammatory bowel disease, you can contact the IBD Flare Line. This is open 24 hours a day and calls will be responded to within 48 hours (weekdays). Your call will be responded to by the IBD Administrator who will triage your call with you and arrange a telephone consultation with the IBD Nurse.
Please contact 01843 225544 Ext 725 3132 or email ekhuft.IBD@nhs.net and leave the following details:
- Your name
- Your hospital/NHS number
- Your contact details
- A brief message highlighting your issues
Visit our FAQs page